Tuesday, October 29, 2013

I Blame the JKU and Soccer Moms

Now before you go and accuse me of JK bashing, let me preface this by saying I've owned a JK longer than most readers. I bought mine in October 2006 before it even hit the showroom floor. I love it & I firmly believe it to be one of the most capable Jeeps ever made in stock form.

 What makes a Jeep Wrangler? Is it the round headlights? Maybe the 7 slot grill? The boxy profile? In my opinion it's a combination of all these things but the most important feature is the solid front axle. As soon as I saw that Congress was reviewing safety complaints regarding "death wobble", I knew I was witnessing the possible death of this Wrangler staple. Why do I blame the JKU? As capable as it is, it's also the most comfortable and the 4 door makes it perfect for families. I should know, it was the reason I bought mine. Originally my Jeep was for my wife. She got tired of me complaining about wanting another Jeep. She finally conceded and gave me hers in trade for a minivan. Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Back on topic. Because of the comfort, added space and the modern conveniences like power windows and MyGig systems, there were more Unlimiteds sold than any other Wrangler. Not only that, but the new owners were hanging on to them. In the past, once the newness wore off and the "inconvenience" set in, it would get traded in on a more "urban friendly" vehicle.




Death-wobble has always been present in solid in solid axle vehicles. Once that vehicle is lifted, the chances are even greater that the driver will experience it. It is a correctable problem, but poorly made lift kits and ignorance on how to fix the problem made it more prevalent. Jeep can say they are doing it for the decrease weight, and I'm sure that is a factor to satisfy EPA needs, but the other reason is to boost sales. I don't fault Jeep for that. It's a business and the bottom line is important. But to sacrifice the solid front axle really will be the death nail for the Wrangler as the most capable, mass-produced, off road vehicle in production.

And you thought square headlights were a problem.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/10/2016-jeep-wrangler-may-ditch-solid-axles.html

No comments:

Post a Comment